Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Retreat

October is my get-away month.  I go to Homestead Cabin Retreat for a couple days and work on some piecing.  This year I brought a basket block exchange that I had participated in earlier this year.  I had 9 basket blocks and added a couple more, setting them in an on-point setting, using Sharyn Craig's book Great Sets.

Okay, this was my experiment quilt.  The book states that all colors go together.  I originally picked a soft pastel blue and brown to tie in all the blocks.  My basket blocks are a variety of colors including soft pastels.  Then, in a quilt shop on the way up to the retreat, I found more fabric (smile) and changed to a more vibrant blue and brown combo.  I liked the colors together and thought it added some zip to the quilt.     

Well, I made all the blocks and put them together but it's not my favorite quilt.  I should have kept to my original color scheme.  It will have to do.  I'll get it finished for our quilt show in March 2012.  It was good practice to figure out the math on the side triangle and corner blocks! 

I also finished a wall hanging that I had started in a Kim Diehl class.  I just had to finish the border.   So nice to finish those projects.  I used the design wall the choose which way I wanted the border blocks to go.  
Option A

Option B
Here is our workspace.  There were 17 quilters there that weekend.  So much fun.

Outside the front door.  Her chickens and roosters roam the property. 



Halloween Weekend


Even the window in the bathroom is decorated for Halloween. 

A fall quilt on display.  I love this scrappy quilt!

A couple deer head keep you company in the cabin.  I took this picture from the loft.
Patsy's quilt top. 
 
Chris Daly made this top from her hand-dyed fabrics.  Love the colors!

This is the back of the quilt.

No comments: